1.20.2013

Summary of 1st 2 Wks in Staunton

Today is a Sunday before a holiday so everything has that slow weekend feel to it. Jenna has "The Tallest Man on Earth" Pandora station on, we've already gone through one batch of POMtinis, and played two rounds of darts. All this is all following a breakfast of homemade buttermilk pancakes with strawberries and homemade whipped cream and yoga in the park. Chili is simmering on the stove and we're just waiting for Trevor, Jenna's boyfriend to get out of the shower so we can eat. I am content.

The mild weather is a bit un-nerving and I do have to remind myself that it is still January. Yesterday we took a hike at Ramsey's Draft and though it started off chilly, I was down to my turtleneck and leggings 20 minutes in. Jenna keeps on remarking on how chilly it is, but I am basking in the warmer weather. We expected a storm this past Thursday of 5-9 inches which the weather stations quickly dropped to 3-5" and in the end we got less than half inch. While Jenna was disappointed, I was alright, although some snow would be nice.

Despite our small salaries, Jenna and I have cooked some fantastic meals and been quite good and revamping leftovers. We have set ourselves to a one-meal-out-a-week rule and two weeks in we've been quite good. The issue lies in coffee shops and pastries especially considering that there is a fantastic bakery a 1/2 mile from our apartment.

Work has been good too! Jenna and I are two out of four staff of Project GROWS (hey, like us on Facebook! Our website should be up in the next two weeks. Gabs, this includes more fun wordpress stuff. I still don't know why people use it). The other two staff members are the director and farm manager, Ryan and Sam, who are 20 hours a week so often Jenna and I are working on our own. Ryan is a 30 something used-to-be basketball star and Sam is the grandson of Stan and Jan Berenstain! They are both easy going, super smart, and fun to work with. I have high hopes for this year and am really excited about how much I will be able to grow under the direction of Ryan. More back story on Ryan is that he got his master's in Counseling and wrote his dissertation on White-Male privilege. How totally awesome is that?!

Our apartment is becoming more and more homely as the days pass by. We adopted a cat from the local shelter named, Poe and slowly she is adjusting to us. While during the day she hides behind the washer and dryer, last night she had quite the mischievous night and woke us up around 1 am. Right now, we are cool with her shenanigans as we are just happy that she is becoming more comfortable, but if she keeps it up, she may need a talking to.

I do not want this post to become too long, so I will end with some pics that I took last week to show you guys the apartment.

Okay, I won't. My computer and this website are not cooperating right now. Maybe later!

Love to you all. And rephrasing Gabs: Love, Hugs, and Highballs.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your life!! It all sounds really great, especially that you have a really good team of people surrounding you! Sorry you didn't get any snow, we are supposed to get 5 or 6 inches tonight. Also, Poe is a cute name but why not Pie? Or is that what they call you? Poe and Pie would make a cute children's book. So much <3's for you and Poe, and I really hope we can come visit you this year!
    La

    ReplyDelete

:)