1.01.2013

Yanuary the ferst. Twenty thirtean.

Hey there, January 1st! How are you doing? That's swell. Well, I've already started off my 2013 a little messy, no surprise there, but it's all cool, it's who I am. So screw that resolution I was talking about! (you know if I told you) but I might try one of these:

1. Write yourself a letter from your future self, dated 1/1/2014. Imagine looking back at 2013, from a place of having achieved your most important goal for the year. In your letter, thank your present self for all you did to achieve your goals—and be specific. Or give yourself some compassionate advice from your wiser, 2014 self. Research shows that connecting to your future self in this way can help you make a difficult change and succeed at your goals.

2. List your favorite memories and triumphs of 2012, including the challenges you faced with courage or humor (even if things didn't turn out the way you hoped). Studies show that remembering your strengths increases future perseverance and willpower; and reminiscing about the past increases future happiness.

3. Imagine the highlights of 2013. Make a list of at least 5 things to look forward to in the coming year. Anything from new episodes of a favorite TV show to a big trip you want to plan. Research shows that one of the best predictors of emotional health is the ability to anticipate and savor future pleasures.

4. Make a list of what you are grateful for in your life. Sure, New Year’s is a great time to think about what you’d like to change about your life. But you’ll be much happier if you first think about everything you’re grateful for. In fact, if you make a gratitude list first, you might be surprised how it shapes your wish list for 2013. You’ll have a clearer sense of what matters most to you, and a better vision of what you want the future to look like.

5. Make a 2013 commitment to someone else. Who says a New Year’s resolution has to be about what’s wrong with you, and how you should change? Honor something bigger than yourself with a financial commitment to a cause you care about. Most non-profit organizations will allow you to pledge a monthly donation for a one-year term. A side benefit: research shows that donating money boosts happiness and self-image--the perfect antidote to the self-critical resolution.

From Marsha Lucas, PhD not me.

2 comments:

  1. Lol Yanuary. I really liked this! I had my students do 2, 4, and 5 today. For me:

    2. -Road trip across the USA with Tonio, Kev and Anna!
    -Creating a yoga program for Sturgis, Gaby helping and pushing me to actually submit it, and then getting a job out of it!
    -Beach yoga this summer.
    -Friendsgiving at our new house!
    -All the hiking we did, (the White Mountains and others with each other, Franconia with all our friends, the Grand Canyon with my family).

    4. -My health
    -My family and friends
    -My husband
    -My job
    -Yoga and meditation
    -Having food (and knowing how to cook it) and a roof over my head

    5. My two commitments are time commitments. The first is to my students. I want to give them more time, more planning, and more ways to make themselves well. My second is a time commitment to the homeless or womens' shelters in Hyannis. For a while now I've been thinking about volunteering at one of those shelters, because I work so close by to them and am confronted with the issue every day. I'm thinking of either offering yoga classes at the womens' shelter, or helping serve meals at the homeless shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. La, that's so awesome! You are so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

:)