11.07.2014

I was thinking last night about what my first Friday post should be about... Should it be about my plans for the day?  Or my profound knowledge of sewing thread? ;)  Maybe I should write about the reason why I like ice cream so much... or my thoughts on living in the country after coming from the city, and how I met John.  Or maybe I'd mention my favorite go-to movie for when I'm down and lonely, or how I daydream about all the places my girls have traveled (Oh, the places you'll go!) and how I like to take apart electronics that don't work anymore to see how to put them back together and fix them back up (current project meet Timmy the ipod)...

How to make the perfect fishing lure...and how I knew John was the one for me? I might write about where I do my best thinking and why I picked Friday to blog. Or maybe I'll save these topics for when I'm creativley blocked.

After some thought I decided that I've been so fortunate to get to know you girls and to watch you grow from college friends into lifelong kindred spirits. And while John and I shared the opportunity to get to know you all while you were finding out who you were and where you wanted to go in life, you never really got to know who we were at your young age and where we wanted to go (not that we're old- lol) but because we started out together at the young age of 18! We met in the summer of 1983, July 17th to be exact. It was a warm Sunday afternoon and I had just gotten off the plane from Florida. My cousin Joe (who would eventually become Gabrielle's Godfather, and the best man at the wedding) was friends with John. They arrived at the airport together and it was a long ride home in the back seat of the car with John, who was very shy. I don't think he spoke one word the whole way home but he kept glancing towards me the whole way.  That very same day after they left the house my Mom told me that he was going to be a hard one to get rid of...lol.  And it turned out she was right- as mother's often are! A week went by and we went on our first double date: my cousin and his date with John and myself.  First date pic!


 I was reluctant to date him at first (my usual type were guys that dressed like they just stepped out of GQ magazine). I had never dated country boys! My Dad always told me to watch out for the guys "that raced you to the mirror" lol  my previous boyfriend thought he was James Dean and used to pull down his visor at every stoplight to check his hair in the mirror...but I was crazy about him, and all the girls were jealous! But he was the type of guy you dated to teach you about the type of guy to marry...Anyway where was I?  Oh yeah, that first date. I think I'll leave off  here to be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Seconded! Thanks for part 1 and I'm inspired to add some photos to my posts!

    ReplyDelete

:)