11.09.2014

Silver Waves Rolling In

Dearest wonderful friends!!!! I made it! I know I am three days late but I wouldn't want to disappoint you by being prompt. I was thinking a lot about doing some sort of creative post, but decided since I haven't seen ya'll since Gaby's LOVELY nuptial event, it would be fun to do a bit of catch-up on what our little slice of Maine is like.


FIRST. Our house kicks butt. We have never lived somewhere that we have loved so much (except Millie the mini van-- she's got a special place in our hearts… and Stanley Street, of course!). Our little yellow abode is so very close to the ocean waves. We see the water every day, and almost every night. These are some of my favorite times there:
•At low tide, when a network of seaweed covered rocks and tide pools appear, all deep forest green and muddy-brown. We have met all kinds of little periwinkles, crabs and moon snails there in their little homes, wandering their slow ways through the wet sand.
•When the moon is full and pours its silver light all over the surface of the crashing waves, illuminating the water and the sand and the rocks, and the black outline of the trees in the distance. We like to go down there then, when the beach is empty and run really fast and drink wine (it's weirdly thrilling!). Once, when we were doing exactly that and yelling a lot and laughing loud, thinking we were the only ones there, we accidentally interrupted a very intimate snuggle fest some other people were having under some blankets. It got awkward, and they grumbled at us, but it was pretty dark out, so, whatever! ha!
•In the mornings, when I go down alone to walk the shoreline and drink my tea, which sometimes cools too quickly in the brisk, ocean-y breeze.
•And surfing at sunset. Oh-so-glorious!! The water lights up orange and pink with reflections from the sky and the frothy waves make patterns on the water's rolling surface, and the cold water kisses your face. We went tonight and it was amazing! Pat exclaimed "This is MAGICAL!!" and he was absolutely, completely accurate.

Heres is a picture of the sky on one such night. Takes my Mainah breath away!


And here I am post-surf in our little outdoor shower. This is the closest I've ever been to standing up on my board… :)

SECOND. Yoga training! Yoga yoga up the wazoooooo! So much. I love it. It's one of those things where you can feel your mind and your life and your heart opening up in new, glorious and sweet ways (La and Lisa, you know all about it! :) My class is nine really wonderful ladies and we are led by some really down-to-earth, grounded, and frequently hilarious teachers. One of them makes us homemade herbal tea blends with crazy herbs I've never heard of and we have tea parties while we look at insane anatomy pictures. It's great. It feels awesome to be beginning! 

THIRD. There was a rainbow over the marsh the other day!


FOURTH. Pat is doing great!! Here he is looking dashing next to some pumpkins, holding some raspberries we just picked at a farm out in the middle of nowhere Maine.

He has been cooking up a storm these days, loving learning to surf (he's pretty good!), pickling things like jalapeƱos and cukes, making sauerkraut, and working on some block printing projects. I've been feeling really grateful for him these days... You know that when your man volunteers to cook dinner so you can devote your time to your art and illustrations, and then the cat pukes and he cleans it up and then brings you coconut ice cream when you ask what happened, that you should thank your lucky stars <3

(Sorry to get ridiculously sappy! but I feel like I can share these things with you guyyys :)

FIFTH. Here is our (sometimes-puking) cat, looking rather handsome and ready for anything.  

SIXTH. I MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!!! I think of you all every day and love you so much!! I'm so excited to be hearing of all your stories and tales and wanderings.
Until Thursday…or Sunday…XOXOXOXOXOXO!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I MISS YOU TOO! I want to come and visit...perhaps sometime after friendsgiving? We can make snow angels on the beach, yeah? <3

    I love it when the man cooks dinner and cleans the cat puke and then brings coconut ice cream...It's DA BEST. True love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This life sounds wonderful!!! And Bosco and Pat look especially stunning in their photos :). Can't wait to come try to surf with you. (Notice, key word = try).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bosco's lookin' especially handsome these days! Looks like you guys doing great!

    ReplyDelete

:)