11.14.2014

Ok, so this week I'm gonna tell you why I like Ice cream sooooooooooo much!

It started at a very young age before VCR'S, DVD players, Video games and Cell Phones. If we were lucky there was a total of three tv network stations you could tune in by playing with the Rabbit Ears. Luckier still if you could watch a show on a color TV, like Mickey Mouse Club or Captain Kangaroo.  It was wonderful growing up without all the distractions of  todays world! I remember when I was four or five years old. We started a very special ritual of jumping in the car and going for a drive with our parent's only to be surprised with a pit stop for ice cream. 31 flavors just opened and I remember my Dad asking us what kind of ice cream we all wanted. I knew this was not going to be an easy decision for me as the November child that had been blessed with indecision.  I remember my Sister Josephine sat up straight in her seat in the back of our parents station wagon and proclaimed I want Vanilla!!! I thought to myself why oh why would she pick plain old boring vanilla at a place that had 31 flavors? But alas, the September child, they pick comfort over indecision! Anyway I picked Chocolate dark rich lovely Chocolate I thought that was a good start for my first time that I can remember going out for ice cream my twin choose strawberry and  Mom choose her usual ice cream soda one squirt chocolate syrup one scoop  vanilla and Dad he got what New Yorkers called THE BARGE a banana split. So the years went by and the trips to various ice cream shops were frequent the only difference was I would worry all the way there what was I going to order? Eventually we moved to Florida and the worry was over for the time being they only had Carvel it was either soft serve Chocolate or Vanilla but my Dad could still get his BARGE... I was the youngest of five and considered myself very lucky because as my older siblings lost interest in that ice cream run, I looked more and more forward to it! In a family as large as ours seven counting our parents we went thru allot of ice cream and so every night after super Dad would make his usual trip to the farm store (our version of Cumberland farms) to get his usual a pack or marlboros a gallon of milk and a half gallon of ice cream I remember dropping everything to go with him on that daily drive just my Dad and I listening to the radio talking about our day and thinking about what flavor ice cream to get I didn't realize then that I had apparently inherited a very bad habit! At that time the Farm Store would have a flavor of the week we would always try it at least one night during that week regardless of what the flavor was we were in this together...lol his favorite was fudge ripple why would anyone like an ice cream flavor that only let chocolate fudge live lightly in it? Then there was the neopolitain I always felt it was segregation of ice crem, he said that we could all have what we liked I didn't want my chocolate touching the adjacent flavors those were the days I had to make sure the scoop didnt't get any other flavor in it very tramatic for me! Anyway the years passed again and I found myself still sneaking out with my Dad for a cone or a BARGE you can tell allot about a person by the flavor of ice cream they choose.  Saturday is our Birthday and even so I won't have Dad there to make an ice cream run with, I will make sure I do him proud!  And that my dears is why I like ice cream so much. So go out this weekend and enjoy something reminicent of your childhood because that little kid inside of you is just dying to spend some quality time with you!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Theresa!

    My dad and I are Friendly's Vienna Mocha Chip people all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought that you could tell a lot about a person based on the ice cream flavor they order. I like coffee soft serve with chocolate sprinkles. My dad always used to get the banana split too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Theresa! Sweet memories!!
    I remember one drive home from New Hampshire, where my grandparents lived, my Dad decided that we would stop at every ice cream stand we saw on the way home. There were a TON. As kiddos under ten, my sister and I were overwhelmed with joy :) It was like this ice cream endurance test. So hilarious! I think we all made it through three whole ice cream cones and then had to call it quits. BELLY ACHES!!! but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete

:)