11.17.2014

The Anticipatory First Snow

11/17/14      

10:23 PM (now typing at 10:46 PM EST)

Part I:

Tomorrow, there is a 60% chance of snow with a high of 27 degrees. (Correction, the updating forecast now says 50%. It has gone down, sad face, since checking the forecast earlier today just after lunch). Despite not feeling well, under the weather one might say, I took a trip out to the farm to harvest cabbages. I feared one more frost might do them in; some already showed their blistered leaves damaged from the cold.



A dozen red cabbages were ready and two green heads were salvageable after the cabbage loopers finished their fall feasting. What I will do it all this cabbage remains to be seen, and yes, that's right, this story is about snow.

I'm about to go to bed and already thinking about peeking through the blinds in the morning, ass checks and below still under the covers - I had to wiggle my upper half out to reach the window.

If there is snow, I know I will snuggle back under the covers excitedly to warm my upper extremities. My phone will be within reach in case work should call inquiring to my whereabouts, not that I will let it get to that point anyway. More likely, my boss with text to say "only come to the office if it is safe to travel." This was always a joke of Jenna and myself as we live in walking distance from the office - of course we can make it there safely.


If there is no snow, I will hunker back under the covers none-the-less. We've been extremely frugal with the heat setting the thermostats at 48 degrees upstairs and almost 60 downstairs. Getting out from under covers heated by an electric blanket these cold mornings is always a tragic struggle. In case you were wondering, we huddle around the same space heater I had at Stanley Street most often to be found in the kitchen...

2 comments:

:)